Most people have never heard of a swamp cooler. A swamp cooler is an evaporative water based cooling system that uses much less energy than a traditional air conditioner to cool your home. While it is an effective, greener choice to consider, it does have some limitations.
- Like a standard window air conditioner, the swamp cooler can only cool an area in relation to its own size
- The swamp cooler is not effective for areas that have consistent high humidity.
If you think you might like to install a swamp cooler, seek the advice of a professional HVAC contractor or installer. The unit is bulky and hard to handle alone. Getting a professional installer will save you a lot of time and trouble.
Hiring the right contractor or installer for your swamp cooler requires you to first ask some questions. Interview the contractors in
- Are you familiar with swamp coolers?
- Is a swamp cooler appropriate for this area?
- How much experience do you have with swamp coolers?
- Do you have references that I can call?
- Will you provide me with a written estimate beforehand?
After determining that a swamp cooler is appropriate for you and will work in your area, and that qualified companies are available, you need to find a unit that is suitable for your needs. Advice from the contractor can be very useful in making a decision. He can help you select a unit that will cover your cooling needs and other factors as well. Also, make sure the once the unit is installed, you understand how to use it, what maintenance and care it requires, and how to properly store it when you don't need it.
As more and more people are going green and seeking new ways of preserving the Earth, more are choosing swamp coolers as an alternative cooling system. Swamp coolers use less energy, do not use any harmful coolants and thereby, can be a much better choice in certain parts of the country. Standard, traditional air conditioners are quickly becoming obsolete. If you live a climate where it is feasible to use a swamp cooler, it might be worth looking into. You will save and save the environment.