A water heater could last about twenty years, if it is maintained in the proper manner. There are many homeowners, however, who are unaware that a hot water heater should be drained every six months. Not draining the water heater regularly greatly reduces its lifespan. When the time comes to get a new water heater, consult a professional water heater plumber.
When Is A New Water Heater Necessary?
Every home needs a water heater ? hot water is a requirement for any home in this country today. There are various ways to tell if a new water heater is needed:
- The water is not heating ? even after all the sediment has been cleaned from the bottom and all the connections appear to be intact and in working order.
- The water heater tank has sprung a leak ? and there is a danger of water damage, which can be very costly to repair. Not only that, but also the cost of energy will rise dramatically as the water heater labors to keep the water hot.
- An old and inefficient water heater ? should be replaced with a new one, like a tankless water heater, which will reduce the energy bill by an appreciable amount.
When in doubt as to whether a new water heater is necessary, consult a plumber skilled in the inner workings of hot water heaters. A hot water heater plumber can also repair a heater that is not quite at the end of its lifespan. Whatever the case, a professional assessment will reveal the exact state of the water heater.
What Kind Of Water Heater?
Water heater installers can do more than install a new water heater or repair an old one ? they can also help make the decision of just what type of water heater to buy.
- How big should it be? ? The water heater should be big enough to accommodate the day to day water use of the family.
- How much will it cost? ? The amount of energy the heater uses, its source of power, and the availability will affect the year to year cost of the water heater.
What Sorts Of Water Heaters Are Out There?
- Conventional Storage Tank Water Heaters ? These are the big tanks that need a lot of room and a lot of water and energy to operate, making them comparatively expensive to run. Buying and installing them can be cheaper, however. Many homes still use a conventional tank heater, so there are still a wide variety of them to choose from.
- Tankless Water Heaters ? Also known as demand water heaters, these save a lot of money because they require so little energy to operate. Since they don?t use a tank, they never run out of water, either. Big families or homes that have a lot of visiting guests will see a lot of benefits in using a tankless water heater.
- Solar Water Heater ? These, of course, use the heat of the sun to heat the water. Those who are concerned with being green can only love this type of heater.